Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Big Box of Love

If you read my sister's blog, you have heard the news. It sucks doesn't it? It's unfair. It's unbelievable. It's devastating. It's shocking. It's news that brings dread. Fear. Anger. Confusion.

It's breast cancer.

And fate pointed her fickle finger at my sister.

I have so much to say about it all. But I find myself utterly speechless as well. When I heard the news, I just felt so helpless. It's my sister; when she's hurt, I'm hurt. When she's scared. I'm scared.

But now, let's get on with the good stuff. The positive stuff.

I am hereby acting as my one and only sissie's campaign manager. It is my job to bring joy, happiness, delight, and whimsy to our dear "Emmy" on a daily basis. She will have so much of the other aforementioned emotions that she will need some levity.

I am requesting some help from all of you.

I have lots of ideas brewing for how to help my sister and her family through this difficult time. Major surgery will require help with food, chores, kid wrangling, and the managing of a household. For now though, I'm asking all of you to put a little something special in the mail, address it to me, and add your voice to the big box of love that I plan to deliver to my sister in the hospital. Specifically what am I asking for? Here is a list of ideas to get your creative juices flowing:

  • cards telling her how pretty she is (we all know that a little ego stroking can go a long long way.)

  • articles from magazines that are funny, inspiring, interesting, or just plain educational. Go ahead and just tear them right out of the magazine you're reading. Some good reading material is essential to a smooth recovery.
  • Pictures. Funny pictures. Old ones. Ones snapped during good times had. Photos of my dear sissie looking pretty (like I said, the ego, a sensitive thing).
  • Cds. Good ones please. No need for crappy music. Music makes the heart and soul happy. It's nice to have something to drown out pain or negative thoughts. It's nice to have something to fill long silences. Music makes you dance, cry, laugh, or reflect...things that need to happen for a speedy recovery.
  • Treats. We like chocolate. Good dark chocolate. Oh wait, did I say "we"? I meant my sister (but I will be with her at times so I think it's important my tastes are satiated too, right?). She likes anything delicious. We trust you. Go ahead. Get to the kitchen.

  • Special little packages with things you know might make her smile. A good book. A new lipstick. Some nail polish. Well, since you're pushing so hard, a really beautiful cashmere sweater, a great new robe, a gift certificate for new lingerie, yoga punch card. (Am I going overboard?)
You might be wondering why you can't just mail something to her directly. Well, of course you can, buzzkill, but it would be fun to participate in a communal effort to bring total joy to the one Mrs. Emily Provost. I plan to deliver the big box of love on her surgery date. I thought it would be fun to bring everything together, making it a day not only of pain and fear, but also a day full of magic and wonder.

I would post my address right here but that would be a bit too much exposure for my taste. If you need my address, just shoot me a comment with your e-mail and I'll e-mail you back. I'll get right back to you with where to send your envelope of goodness. (Did you just read that? I figured out how to allow comments again!)

I know all of this will be so greatly appreciated. My sister is brave, hilariously funny, and strong as an ox. But when you are free falling, even the mighty need some reassurance of a cushion beneath them. All of us together can offer the softest spot to land. While we can't make any of this go away, we can make it an experience worth moving through.

Again, get working on your words of love and get thee to the post office!

21 comments:

  1. Hi Meg - I would like to send a card. Please email me the address. Thanks. Sheri Nugent (Taylor Emmerton's aunt)

    sherinugent@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there!! I'd love to send something!! Erin (Emily's Sammamish friend :D)

    eringlover74@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Megan-

    I'd like to do something for Emily, too. I just started a new job, so I'm not promising anything fabulous, but I'll try!

    Tracy (Andrew's KU friend)

    tracylynndrake@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Meg,

    I would love nothing more than to send my dear friend something to make her smile! Please include me in your box of fantastic for EP.

    -Taylor

    tayloremmerton@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited that you have comments!!! Count me in of course! Love you and your fam tons. love, me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg,
    I'm so onboard with this! Count me in for something for the Big Box of Love.
    Love, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops - forgot my email address:
    michelle@provost.org but maybe that was already known ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dear friend, you bring the magic! Watch your mail for your sweet sissy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Add me to the list Meg!

    Byinna@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will look forwared to adding to the box o love...great idea...Em is lucky to have you as her sister & Campaign manager! I'm all over it! And I bet I can even hunt down your address!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please send address info. My heart is yanked. Alison Felicioli

    alisonfelicioli@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please send me your address. I would like to respond on behalf of Peter's relatives in Ottawa. I was shocked to hear the news as we went thru this once before when Cousin Valerie was diagnosed with breast cancer just a few years ago. Thankfully after chemo and radiation, Valerie is doing very well. Our thoughts are with Peter and Emily. Peter's Aunt Carolyn (daniels1221@rogers.com)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi. I would like to maybe make some dinner for them. Could that be worked out? And/or hang with the kiddies. Finn and Hadley get along so well with my kids. They could come and spend the whole day (or whatever) and have fun.
    You're a great sister; Emily is lucky to have you.
    Thanks,
    Nicole
    nicole_weinman@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. We, (Peter's extended family in Ottawa, Canada) are so with you on all of this. Only wish we lived closer so we could make meals etc. Please put me on the list too. vcousins@trytel.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meg - I will of course send something. You are a very special sister and I know you will be a tremendous support to her and the family. I do wish we are in Denver so we could help in person. If you think of anything more that could be done from long distance please let me know. My prayers are with you, Emily and the rest of your family. Love - Cousin Maura in SF

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Meg,

    I've been ripping up magazines - you know Japanese fashions, underground music, Mexican interior design, etc.... and I have some music too. When are you getting this stuff together? I'd be happy to drop it off.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Meg -

    Lovely sistering. I would like in on the box. Please let me know where to send the goods. crystal.potter@gmail.com

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  18. Please count me in -- joynichols@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Meg-
    It's Snyder. Sorry I'm so late to all of this. I know your plan is to deliver things to her on her surgery day/today, but I'm obviously too late for that. I am out of town this weekend, but would like to do something for Emily next week. Any suggestions? If not, I will come up with something. My thoughts and all the good vibes I can muster will be headed Emily's way today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello there - I have been reading Emily's blog for awhile now ... you have a fabulous sister (though I am sure you know that). I read the recent news about your mom. I am so very sorry that your family has to deal with breast cancer, again. So unfair and I want to send my support ... when you get a moment, could you please send me mailing info to jennifer_sebor1@hotmail.com. I have a few cheer-up treats I would like to send ... if that is OK? I am thinking of your family and sending healing thoughts ... All my best, J

    ReplyDelete